Coast Guard Committee
The mission of the Traverse City Coast Guard City Committee is to promote and support United States Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City.
Goals & Objectives
The Committee will complete the following objectives in order to PROMOTE the men and women of the Coast Guard:
- Raise $100,000 to build and maintain the Coast Guard statue, and take all reasonable steps to secure a location.
- Devise and execute a public outreach strategy.
- Continue the signage and street naming campaign.
- Host or participate in events designed to promote the Coast Guard in Traverse City, including Friday Night Live, National Cherry Festival parades and events, an annual ball, and a Welcome Picnic/Ice Cream Social/or similar event.
- Work with the Traverse City Garden Club to install a garden that celebrates the Coast Guard, preferably located in mini-park.
The Committee will complete the following objectives in order to SUPPORT the men and women of the Coast Guard:
- Develop a directory of local business that are supportive of Coast Guard personnel with business-related discounts.
- Develop a series of special recognitions and awards keyed to the Coast Guard honors of Enlisted Person of the Quarter, the semi-annual Perchard Award, and the semi-annual Golden Wrench Award.
- Develop a legislative agenda designed to support the Coast Guard, including:
- Legislative liaison program with our Congressional Delegation;
- Special legislation designed to support professional licensing for the trailing spouse in the areas of teaching and nursing; and
- Cooperative outreach to a broader association of Coast Guard communities.
- Develop a Community Outreach and Mentoring program designed to welcome and orientate new Coast Guard families to our community (see PROMOTE #4 – welcome picnic/ice cream social.
- Finalize, agree, and adopt the revised Mission Statement and Objectives. (Completed May 7, 2015)
- Develop more detailed plans around these broad objectives, including detailed strategies, goals, metrics, and dates.
- Develop a communications strategy designed to inform the City Commission and general public of Committee plans and on-going status of events.
- Work collaboratively with Air Station Traverse City Commanding Officer in each of these areas to ensure transparency and to secure input and support.