Hickory Hills began operations in the winter of 1951-52 on 12 City-owned acres. Adjacent land was leased or used by friendly agreement. The City now owns approximately 125 acres. The lodge that was constructed in the mid 1950's is still in use today with a fireplace and snack bar for the enjoyment of our guests.
Prior to 1985, Hickory Hills was completely at the whim of nature for its snow. The number of skiing days ranged from a low of 29 in 1983-84 to a high of 83 days in 1958-59. Since 1985 the number of days has stabilized with an average of 70 skiing days per year since snow making equipment was installed. Snow making capabilities now exist on six of eight runs.