City Home > News
West Front Street Reconstruction Update
May 8, 2015
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Alexander R. Yockey P.E., Civil Engineer II, (231) 922-4468
West Front Street Reconstruction: Phase 2
TRAVERSE CITY- The City of Traverse City and Crawford Contracting, Inc. will complete Phase 1 of the 2015 West Front St. Reconstruction Project on Monday, May 11, 2015. The project limits are on West Front Street extending between Division Street and Hall Street. The project includes replacing all pavements including sidewalks. New 8” dia. water main will be installed between Division Street and Hall Street. Additional project elements include curb bump outs at the intersections, two mid-block crosswalks, bike lanes, street trees, tree grates, bollards and banner poles. The $2,289,686 beautification project is aimed at transforming the corridor to achieve more of a downtown aesthetic.
During construction, two-way traffic will be maintained for as long as possible. The project will be constructed in four phases. The following is a brief description of Phase 2:
Phase 2 – May 11th to June 10th:
- Two-way traffic will be maintained in the north half of the street with daily lane shifts as needed.
- Contractor will remove enough pavements to install the water main, “short side” water service leads and storm sewer in the south half of the street.
- Contractor will maintain pedestrian access for businesses. Sidewalk detours will be utilized where necessary.
- After installation of the water main and storm sewer remaining pavements will be removed and new curb and sidewalks will be constructed.
- After installation of the curb and sidewalks the south half of the street will be paved with the asphalt base course.
Information on additional phases will be provided as each phase is completed. Please use alternate routes avoiding this area to reduce congestion, delay and promote worker safety. Appropriate signage and barricades will be in place in and around the work area.
This construction will generate dust, noise and cause inconvenience. We would like to thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation. Please feel free to call Alexander Yockey at 922-4468 if you have any questions, comments or concerns about the work or the schedule.
The City of Traverse City is located in Grand Traverse County, Michigan. Traverse City was incorporated in 1891 as a Village and in 1895 as a City. It encompasses 8.09 square miles and has a population of 14,674 (2010 Census).