City Home > News

Volunteers Sought for City Boards and Committees!

by Katelyn Zeits
Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Subject:           Invitation to Apply for Boards and Committees

Contact:          Katelyn Zeits, Deputy City Clerk,

Traverse City residents are invited to participate in the process of government by serving on one of the city's citizen boards and committees. Through this service, civic-minded citizens can become involved in their local government. The city, in turn, benefits from the knowledge, experience and expertise of our citizens.

Brown Bridge Advisory Committee

The purpose of the Brown Bridge Advisory Committee to is make recommendations for restoring, preserving and protecting the integrity of the Brown Bridge property. This board has minimal commitment required as it only meetings quarterly. 

Planning Commission

The Planning Commission member shall be a representative of important segments of the community, such as the economic, governmental, educational, and social development of the local unit of government, in accordance with the major interests as they exist in the local unit of government, such as agriculture, natural resources, recreation, education, public health, government, transportation, industry and commerce.

Housing Commission

The authority of this commission is “to purchase, acquire, construct, maintain, operate, improve, extend and repair housing facilities; to eliminate housing conditions which are detrimental to the public peace, health, safety, morals or welfare; to issue notes and revenue bonds; to regulate issuance, sale, retirement and refunding of such notes and bonds; to regulate the rentals of such projects and the use of the revenues of the projects; to prescribe the manner of selecting tenants for such projects, etc.”

Local Officers Compensation Commission

This Commission determines the salaries of such local elected offices, which determination shall be the salaries of the legislative bodies.  This board is a low commitment, meeting only in odd years. 

If you are interested in serving, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 231-922-4480 by Friday, September 16, 2016 for an Application to Become Involved or visit our website:

Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for all boards and commissions and are kept on file for a period of one year; applicants must not be in default to the City.