City Home > News
Tree Policy Public Input Session: Dec 4
November 27, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Missy Luick, City of Traverse City, Planning Assistant, (231) 922-4778
Tree Policy Public Input Session
Scheduled for December 4, 2018
TRAVERSE CITY, MICHIGAN- The Traverse City Planning Commission has scheduled a Public Input Session for December 4, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at the Traverse Area District Library to host a facilitated discussion to develop guidelines and principles to inform new City Tree regulations. The session is open to all. Please consider attending to participate in the discussion.
The session will begin with an informative presentation by a variety of speakers who will present different community viewpoints.
Some key questions to be addressed in the session include:
- As a City, what should our goals be for tree protection, management and care?
- Should tree removal require that the City of Traverse City issue a permit?
- Should tree removal require replanting trees within the city limits?
- Should tree policy apply to all properties equally – single-family residential, multi-family residential, commercial, industrial, public lands, etc.?
- How should tree removal in environmentally sensitive areas be regulated? Should tree regulations be different for sensitive areas?
The Public Input Session will involve voluntary roundtable discussions so that all participants will have the opportunity to offer input.
Those who are not able to attend the session will have an opportunity to offer input to the process through an online survey to be developed and launched within 2 weeks after the Public Input Session. The public is also invited to voice opinions by sending comments to the Planning Commission, by mail at 400 Boardman Avenue, Traverse City, Michigan 49684, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of Traverse City is located in Grand Traverse County, Michigan. Traverse City was incorporated in 1891 as a Village and in 1895 as a City. It encompasses 8.66 square miles and has a population of 15,515 (2017 Census).