City Home > Departments > City Police Home > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions?

1.   How do I get a copy of an accident report?

  • You may request the report by mail.  Please send $5.00 cash/check with a self addressed envelope and the complaint number given to you by the officer. 
  • Contact your insurance company directly and ask that they obtain the report for you. 
  • See the "Central Records - FOIA" section on this website for further information.

2.   Where do I drop off my old prescription drugs?

  • You may drop off prescription drugs to the "POD" in the Law Enforcement Lobby M-F from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

3.   I just purchased a gun, how do I register it?

  • Bring your gun registration information to the Law Enforcement Center.
  • Please leave your guns at home, they are not needed to register. 

4.   How do I get fingerprinted, where can I have that done?

  • At the Grand Traverse County Jail on Wednesday's only, from 8:30 am - 10:30 am and 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm.

5.   How do I get someone out of my house?

  • For Emergency matters - CALL 911.
  • For non-emergency matters you can request an officer by contacting Central Dispatch at 231-922-4550.
  • Serve the individual with an eviction notice.  For further assistance you can contact the Civil Clerk at District Court at 231-922-4586.

6.   How do I get in touch with an officer?

  • For Emergency matters - CALL 911.
  • Non-emergency matters call Central Dispatch at (231) 922-4550.
  • Email if you know the officers email address.
  • Call 231-995-5007 and listen to automated prompts for officers voicemail. 

7.   How do I get information about the incident that happened at my house?

  • Freedom of Information Act, forms found on this website under "Central Records - FOIA". 

8.   How do I get my arrest record?

  • Come to the Law Enforcement Center and request a copy through the Freedom of Information Act. 

9.   My car was hit in the parking lot, can you help me?

  • Come to the Law Enforcement Center an obtain a private property accident form.

10. How do I get a Personal Protection Order (PPO)?

  •  Contact the Women's Resource Center at 720 S. Elmwood Ave #2, Traverse City,  MI 49684 or (231) 941-1210.

11.  How do I report an internet scam?

  • If you are not out any money or property you do not need to file a complaint with the Traverse City Police Department.  Go to and report it.

12.  How do I file a police report?

  • For Emergency matters - CALL 911
  • For non-emergency matters you can request an officer by contacting Central Dispatch at 231-922-4550.  
  • Also for non-emergency matters you can come to the lobby of the Police Department at 851 Woodmere Ave anytime and either speak with a Records Clerk (during business hours) or if after hours pick up the phone located in the vestibule which will connect you to Centeral Dispatch. 

This page last updated on 5/2/2016.