City Home > Departments > City Engineering > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the ROW?
A: ROW is short for Right of Way and is property dedicated for public use and that land typically includes City streets, pathways, sidewalks and alleys.

Q: What is the tree lawn?
A: The tree lawn is typically the land between the sidewalk and the curb (depending on your lot configuration). It is the lawn area that you normally take care of but is actually City Property within the ROW.

Q: Do I need a permit to install or make improvements to the Tree Lawn or Right of Way?
A: Possibly, it depends on the type of improvements you plan to make. Any excavation deeper than 8 inches, such as installing an irrigation system, will require a permit. Please contact the City Engineering department with specific questions regarding work in the Tree Lawn or Right of Way.

Development Guides

How Are We Doing? Please take our 5 minute Customer Feedback Survey and let us know how the City of Traverse City Engineering Department is doing.

This page last updated on 8/25/2017.