The mission of the Traverse City Coast Guard City Committee is to promote and support United States Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City
Goals & Objectives
In 2019-20, the Committee will complete the following objectives in order to PROMOTE the men and women of the Coast Guard:
- Continue fund raising to maintain the Coast Guard statue.
- Devise and execute a public outreach strategy starting with the compilation of a list of who is doing what.
- Continue the signage and banners.
- Host or participate in events designed to promote the Coast Guard in Traverse City, including Open Ramp,Friday Night Live, National Cherry Festival parades and events, and a Welcome Picnic/Ice Cream Social /or similar event such as a softball or basketball game.
- Work with the Traverse City Garden Club to install a garden that celebrates the Coast Guard, preferably located in mini-park close to the statue.
- Do media blasts around USCG Day (Aug. 4) or August as birthday month.
In 2019-2020, the Committee will complete the following objectives in order to SUPPORT the men and women of the Coast Guard:
- Initiate conversations with the Chamber of Commerce about ways to promote and support the Coast Guard through the Chamber, including adding the Coast Guard as a topic for the leadership Grand Traverse Program.
- Develop a directory of local businesses that are supportive of Coast Guard personnel with business-related discounts.
- Develop a series of special recognitions and awards such as the USCG Cherry Wings Award keyed to the Coast Guard honors of Enlisted Persons of the Quarter and Year.
- Develop a legislative agenda designed to support the Coast Guard including:
- Designate a legislative liaison with our Congressional Delegation.
- Conduct a survey of CG personnel asking them about their challenges as well as what’s good and what may not be so good, and
- Cooperative outreach to a broader association of Coast Guard communities.
- Supplement and/or further develop a Community Outreach and Mentoring program designed to welcome and orientate new Coast Guard families to Traverse City. (Coordinate with # 4 under PROMOTE)
- Provide at Annual reports on the accomplishments of the Coast Guard Committee to the City Commission.
- As necessary, develop more detailed plans around these objectives, including detailed strategies, goals, metrics, and time frames.
- Develop a communications strategy designed to inform not only the City Commission but the general public of Committee plans and events
- Work collaboratively with Air Station Traverse City Commanding Officer in each of these areas to ensure input and support.