Loose Leaf Pick Up
Fall Loose Leaf Pick Up is Complete
The City provides a loose leaf pick up program in the fall and a loose leaf and brush pick up program in the spring.
For further clarification as to placement of leaves, visit City Ordinance 668.03.
Update: December 8, 2023
The fall Loose Leaf Pick Up program is complete. Please do not rake any further leaves in street.
Update: November 27, 2023
The last pass for leaf pick up is being conducted. Leaves in street as of November 26, 2023 will be picked up as weather permits.
Operators for leaf pickup are also the operators for winter maintenance, crew and equipment. If the snow melts, do not place anymore leaves in the street. Violators will have to remove the leaves if they do. The process to pick up the leaves could take up to two or more weeks to complete depending on future snowfall. Please be patient while our crews are out there finishing the leaf pickup while dealing with winter street maintenance.
Fall Loose Leaf Pick Up
The City of Traverse City conducts a loose-leaf pick-up program in the fall. The Fall Loose Leaf Pick Up will begin October 23, 2023. Due to weather and leaf fall variables, no specific pickup dates are scheduled. We will cover the City neighborhoods, beginning on the west side and moving eastward, over a period of 5 to 7 weekdays, and then will return to the west side to repeat the process. Leaves should be raked out in front of your house for pick up as promptly as possible on or after the determined date.
Please note that brush is not picked up during the Fall Loose Leaf Pick Up Program.
Please keep leaves off the street until the October 19th
General Guidelines for the Fall Loose Leaf Collection Program
- Feel free to rake and pile leaves on the tree lawn prior to the fall pickup date
- Do not use plastic bags - only loose leaves are best and biodegradable bags are acceptable
- The City will not be picking up brush or sticks - loose leaves only
- Always avoid covering catch basins when raking
- Leaves will be picked up from the paved edge or gravel shoulder of the road. We will only pick up leaves in the alleys along Division Street, East Front Street from Railroad Avenue to Munson Avenue, Munson Avenue from East Front Street to Airport Access Road, and Eighth Street from Union Street to Woodmere Avenue
- Please do not park vehicles over leaf piles on City streets - we are unable to pick up those leaves and will be the homeowner's responsibility
Residents along the Madison and Jefferson Construction Project Route
- Leaves placed in alley due to recent construction will be picked up
- Moving forward, leaves may now be placed on street
Spring Loose Leaf Pick Up
Brush Pick Up is in Spring Only
The City of Traverse City conducts a loose-leaf and brush pick up in the spring. The program will kick off in the spring. A start date will be announced as we get closer. Due to weather and leaf fall variables, no specific pickup dates are scheduled. We will cover the City neighborhoods, beginning on the west side and moving eastward, over a period of 5 to 7 weekdays and do one pass only. Leaves should be raked out in front of your house for pick up as promptly as possible on or after April 6th.
General Guidelines for the Loose Leaf & Brush Collection Program
- Feel free to rake and pile leaves on the tree lawn prior to April 6th
- Do not use plastic bags - loose leaves only are best and biodegradable bags are acceptable
- Leaves in the street; brush in the alley - if there is no alley, the brush can be placed behind the curb or pavement edge of the street
- Brush piles cannot exceed 8' x 8' and 4' high - branches no more than 4" in diameter
- Christmas trees are okay
- No logs, stumps, or root balls
- Always avoid covering catch basins when raking and leave them clear of debris
- Please do not park vehicles over leaf piles on City streets - if we are unable to pick up those leaves, it will be the homeowner's responsibility
Please note that brush pick up is done separately and may not occur at the same time as you leaves begin picked up.
Yard Waste Outside of Spring or Fall Pick Up Programs
Residents should remember that if they have yard waste that they want picked up before the City’s leaf pick up, GFL (formerly American Waste) does have a program to pick it up for a fee. Call GFL at (231) 943-8088 for information regarding their sticker program.
In addition, Grand Traverse County has a seasonal Brush Drop Off Site.
The City’s Loose Leaf Pick Up program prevents leaves from winding up in a landfill and catch basins. The leaves are turned into rich screened topsoil and used by the Parks Division for flower beds!