Loose Leaf Pick Up
Spring Loose Leaf Pick Up has Concluded
The City of Traverse City conducts a loose leaf pick up program in spring and fall seasons. The Spring 2021 program has concluded. If you still have brush needing of disposal, Grand Traverse County operates a Brush Drop Off Site.
For further clarification as to placement of leaves, visit City Ordinance 668.03.
General Guidelines for the Loose Leaf Collection Program
- Feel free to rake and pile leaves on the tree lawn prior to designated date
- Do not use plastic bags - loose leaves only are best and biodegradable bags are acceptable
- Leaves in the street; brush in the alley - if there is no alley, brush can be placed behind the curb or pavement edge of the street
- Brush piles can be up to 8' x 8' and 4' high
- Christmas trees are okay in Spring
- No logs, stumps, or root balls
- Always avoid covering catch basins when raking and leave clear of debris
- Please do not park vehicles over leaf piles in City streets - if we are unable to pick up those leaves, it will be the homeowner's responsibility
Residents should remember that if they have yard waste that they want picked up before the City’s leaf pick up, American Waste does have a program to pick up for a fee. Call American Waste at 231-943-8088 for information regarding their sticker program.
FUN FACT: The City’s Loose Leaf Pick Up program prevents leaves from winding up in a landfill and catch basins. The leaves are turned into rich screened topsoil and used by the Parks Division for flower beds!