Loose Leaf Pick Up
Fall Loose Leaf Pick Up has Concluded
The City of Traverse City conducts a loose leaf pick up program in spring and fall seasons. The Fall Loose Leaf Pick Up will begin Monday, October 18, 2021 on the WEST side of the City. Due to weather and leaf fall variables, no specific pickup date will be scheduled. We will cover the City neighborhoods, beginning on the west side and moving eastward, over a period of 5 to 7 weekdays, and then will return to the west side to repeat the process. Leaves should be raked out in front of your house for pickup as promptly as possible on or after October 18, 2021. Pick up will continue through November 15, 2021.
For further clarification as to placement of leaves, visit City Ordinance 668.03.
General Guidelines for the Loose Leaf Collection Program
- Feel free to rake and pile leaves on the tree lawn prior to October 18th
- Do not use plastic bags - only loose leaves are best and biodegradable bags are acceptable
- The City will not be be picking up brush or sticks - loose leaves only
- Always avoid covering catch basins when raking
- Leaves will be picked up from the paved edge or gravel shoulder of the road. We will only pick up leaves in the alleys along Division Street, East Front Street from Railroad Avenue to Munson Avenue, Munson Avenue from East Front Street to Airport Access Road and Eighth Street from Union Street to Woodmere Avenue
- Please do not park vehicles over leaf piles in City streets - we are unable to pick up those leaves and will be the homeowners responsibility
Residents should remember that if they have yard waste that they want picked up before the City’s leaf pick up, GFL (formerly American Waste) does have a program to pick up for a fee. Call GFL at 231-943-8088 for information regarding their sticker program.
FUN FACT: The City’s Loose Leaf Pick Up program prevents leaves from winding up in a landfill and catch basins. The leaves are turned into rich screened topsoil and used by the Parks Division for flower beds!