City Home > News

Seeking Volunteers for Boards and Committees

by Katy Garavaglia
Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Subject: Available Positions on Various City Boards!

Contact: Katelyn Zeits, Deputy City Clerk

Members of the Traverse City community are invited to serve on one of the City's citizen boards and committees. Through this service, civic-minded citizens can become involved in their local government. The City, in turn, benefits from the knowledge, experience and expertise of those in our community.

Art Selection Panel
The Art Selection Panel, a seven-member panel appointed by the Traverse City Arts Commission, holds meetings as needed to review proposals and make recommendations to the Traverse City Arts Commission. Members of the Art Selection Panel are not required to be City residents, but should have knowledge of or interest in the visual arts, and will be appointed to terms of three years.

Brown Bridge Advisory Committee
The purpose of this advisory committee is to make recommendations to restore, preserve and protect the integrity of the Brown Bridge property under the direction of the City Manager. This Committee meets quarterly on the third Thursday of that month, and appointments are for terms of three years.

City Planning Commission
The purpose of the Planning Commission is to prepare and adopt a master plan for the City, and to review development proposals, both private and public, regarding their consistency with City plans. This Commission meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm.

Housing Commission
The authority of this commission is to purchase, maintain, operate, improve, and/or repair housing facilities; eliminate detrimental housing conditions; issue notes and revenue bonds; and regulate the rentals of such public or subsidized housing. This board meets the fourth Friday of each month at 8:00 am.

For more information on these boards and other City boards, or to find our “Application to Become Involved,” please visit

If you are interested in serving, please submit your application to the City Clerk’s Office by Friday, August 31, 2018 in person at 400 Boardman Ave., or by email:

Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for all boards and commissions and are kept on file for a period of one year; applicants must not be in default to the City.