City Home > News

The City is Seeking Volunteers for City Boards!

by Katelyn Zeits
Monday, February 4, 2019

Subject:           Available Positions on Various City Boards!  

Contact:          Katelyn Zeits, Deputy City Clerk   

Members of the Traverse City community are invited to serve on one of the City's citizen boards! Through this service, civic-minded citizens can become involved in their local government. The City, in turn, benefits from the knowledge, experience and expertise of those in our community. For more information on the boards listed below, please visit  

Arts Commission

The Arts Commission is responsible for promoting art in the community, and advising the City Commission on matters pertaining to various art programs within the city. The Traverse City Arts Commission meets monthly on the third Wednesday. Interested individuals are required to be a City resident.  

Art Selection Panel

The Art Selection Panel, a seven-member panel appointed by the Traverse City Arts Commission. The Panel holds meetings as needed to review proposals and make recommendations to the Traverse City Arts Commission. Members of the Art Selection Panel are not required to be City residents, but should have knowledge of or interest in the visual arts, and will be appointed to terms of three years.

Grand Traverse Commons Joint Planning Commission

The Joint Planning Commission was established for the purpose of exercising the powers and duties of a planning commission. This board meets quarterly on the third Wednesday and individuals interested should be a City residents or a Garfield Township resident.

Farmers Market Advisory Board

Typically meets once a month to advise the Downtown Development Authority Board on upholding the mission of the Sara Hardy Downtown Farmers Market for the betterment of the market. For more information on this board, please contact the Downtown Development Authority at 231-922-2050. 

Local Officers Compensation Commission

This Commission determines the salaries of the City Commission. This board is a small commitment, meeting only in odd years. Interested individuals are required to be a City resident.  

For more information on these boards and other City boards, or to find our “Application to Become Involved, please visit

If you are interested in serving, please submit your application to the City Clerk’s Office by Friday, February 22, 2019 in person at 400 Boardman Ave., or by email:

Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for all boards and commissions.