City Home > News
No Wipes in the Pipes!
NO Wipes in the Pipes!
Biodegradable or Disposable should not be flushed!
Convenience wipes, including those for babies, hygiene uses, cleaning and disinfectant, as well as toilet bowl scrubbers and even paper towels might be labeled as “disposable or flushable” but these items should not go down the drain. Products like these do not disintegrate or break down in the sewer system, which can cause plugs in the sewer pipes and pumps, leading to sewage backups, costly cleanups and environmental consequences that can result in rate increases for both you and your neighbors.
How can YOU help?
- Do not flush objects down the toilet such as wipes, diapers, feminine hygiene products, or dental floss.
- Dispose of these items in your household or business trash receptacle.
- Inform those who clean your house or business of proper disposal methods for convenience products.
- Select cleaning supplies that can be washed or reused.
The following should NEVER be flushed down the toilet:
× Diapers- cloth, disposable, flushable
× Baby wipes, disinfectant wipes, moist wipes, flushable wipes etc.
× Swiffer pads
× Dental Floss
× Fats, oils and greases of any kind
× Vitamins, medicines or other pharmaceuticals
× Plastic of any kind
× Facial tissues
× Toilet bowl scrub pads
× Napkin- paper or cloth, paper towels
× Egg shells, nutshells and coffee grounds
× Food items containing seeds and peelings
× Sanitary napkins, tampons, condoms or any non-organic material
× Wash cloths, towels, rags (no cloth whatsoever)
× Cat Litter
Nothing should be flushed except toilet paper and human waste!
Also please do NOT:
- Pour chemicals, paint, solvents, cleaners, motor oil or anti-freeze down the sewer
- Plant trees directly over a sewer line. Root growth in sewer lines is problematic
- Dig without calling MISS DIG – dial 811
If you are having trouble with your sewer line or have any questions, please contact the City of Traverse City Water/Sewer Maintenance Department at (231) 922-4923.