Recreational Authority Board
Parks. People. Partners.
The Recreational Authority was formed in 2003 as a partnership between the citizens of Traverse City and Garfield Township "for the purpose of the acquisition, construction, operation, maintenance or improvement of public recreation centers, public parks, and public conference centers as may be acquired by the Authority or as may be transferred to it by a participating municipality." (Articles of Incorporation, adopted June 30, 2003.)
In 2004, voters in both jurisdictions approved ballot measures for the Authority to purchase and operate three properties as public parks, known today as Historic Barns Park, Hickory Meadows, and part of the Open Space on West Grand Traverse Bay.
Creation of the Authority was provided for under the provisions of Michigan's Recreational Authorities Act (Public Act No. 321 of 2000). The Recreational Authority is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors consisting of seven members; those members are appointed as follows:
- Three are appointed by the City Commission, with one of those three being an elected City Commissioner
- Three are appointed by the Garfield Township Board of Trustees, with one of those three being an elected Garfield Township Trustee
- One is appointed by the Board of Directors of the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy (this appointee must be a resident of the City of Traverse City or Garfield Township)
All board appointments are for three years, and expire 6/30.
Regular board meetings are the first Wednesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. and alternate between the Garfield Township Hall (3848 Veterans Drive), the Governmental Center (400 Boardman Avenue), and Historic Barns Park (1500 Red Drive). Study sessions and special meetings are held as needed.