Master Plan Rewrite
Start: Summer 2022
Leadership Team Meetings
Open House: October 26
3 - 7 pm
A master plan is a dynamic long-term planning document that provides a conceptual layout to guide future growth and development. Master planning is about making the connection between buildings, social settings, and their surrounding environments.
The City’s current Master Plan was adopted in 2009, and updated/amended in 2017. The Michigan Planning Enabling Act (MPEA), Public Act 33 of 2008, as amended, requires that a Planning Commission review its Master Plan every five years, and decide whether to amend the existing document or adopt a new document.
The City issued a Request for Proposals in early 2022 and selected Becket & Raeder as the consultant to rewrite the City’s Master Plan. Becket & Raeder brings along local consultants StateCraft and Great Blue Orange to manage the community engagement portion of the project.
The document will guide policy to help create a vision of what the future will look like in relation to land use development and preservation. The City intends to work with the consultant tol implement a robust public engagement plan to develop a community vision with programmatic goals and recommendations for planning and zoning.
Desired Master Plan Content and Format
The new Master Plan is envisioned to be both a physical plan and a policy guide for staff and decision makers to guide community development for the next 30 years. It should address:
- Housing and Affordability
- Land Use Patterns and Intensities
- Economic Development, Job Growth, and Economic Resiliency
- Cultural and Historic Resources
- Recreation and Civic Spaces
- Community Services and Facilities
- Transportation and Circulation, including a Mobility/Bicycle Network Plan
- Sustainability, Natural Resources, Water and Energy
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity
- Incorporation of the Village of Grand Traverse Commons, which has its own Master Plan, within the broader framework of the City.
- Priority redevelopment areas
- Action plan implementation table and zoning plan
- Requirements of MEDC’s Redevelopment Ready Communities
Master Plan Leadership Team Members
- Daren Dixon, Traverse City Light & Power
- Frank Dituri, City of Traverse City/DPS
- Debbie Hershey, Planning Commission
- Art Krueger, City of Traverse City, DMU
- Mary Mills, City Resident
- Claire Karner, City Resident
- Shawn Winter, City of Traverse City, City Planner
- Martin Colburn, City of Traverse City, City Manager
- Harry Burkholder, DDA, COO
- Mi Stanley, City Commission
- Tim Lodge, City of Traverse City, City Engineer
- David Hassing, Planning Commission
- Jeanine Easterday, City Resident
- Mitchell Treadwell, City Commission
- Ted Arnold, Student Liaison