City Home > News

Volunteers Needed to Serve on City Boards!

by Katelyn Zeits
Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Members of the Traverse City community are invited to serve on one of the City's citizen boards and committees! The following have openings: 

City Planning Commission

The purpose of the Planning Commission is to prepare and adopt a master plan for the City, and to review development proposals, both private and public, regarding their consistency with City plans. This Commission meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm.

Housing Commission

The authority of this commission is to purchase, maintain, operate, improve, and/or repair housing facilities; eliminate detrimental housing conditions; issue notes and revenue bonds; and regulate the rentals of such public or subsidized housing. This board meets the fourth Friday of each month at 8:00 am.

For more information on these boards and other City boards, or to find our “Application to Become Involved, please visit

If you are interested in serving, please submit your application to the City Clerk’s Office by Friday, September 28, 2018 in person at 400 Boardman Ave., or by email:

Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis for all boards and commissions and are kept on file for a period of one year; applicants must not be in default to the City.